Fresh breath really is a great confidence booster. There is nothing like fresh minty breath and a clean healthy smile. That is why we have a day to celebrate that clean, fresh mouth feeling! National Fresh Breath Day is August 6th every year, so it’s time to remember the importance of oral hygiene.
National Fresh Breath Day is a time for dentists, dental hygienists and all of us to fight bad breath. Everyone gets self-conscious about their breath from time to time. This happens especially after a cup of coffee or a spicy or garlicky meal and that’s normal. Usually, a stick of gum, mint, or a quick brushing takes care of it.
But chronic bad breath often times is a sign of poor oral hygiene. Millions of bacteria live below the gum line and on the back of the tongue. If these areas are not cleaned regularly and correctly it leads to the bacteria eating off the proteins and food particles in the mouth. This leads to gasses called volatile sulfur compounds being released. Yeah, pretty gross.
So, in honor of National Fresh Breath Day we have some tips to keep your mouth fresh and clean.
Tips to Maintain Fresh Breath
- Brush. OK, this one is kind of obvious. Brushing your teeth is key to keeping your teeth and mouth clean while preventing bad breath. It is important to make sure you are reaching all surfaces of your teeth and gums and we recommend that you brush at least twice a day.
- Floss. Another pretty obvious way to prevent bad breath is to floss daily. Flossing allows you to get to the areas below the gum line and in between teeth. The best way to make sure you get any possible bits of food left behind is to floss after you brush every time.
- Drink water. If you are not drinking enough water, your saliva flow will decrease, which can cause your breath to be more concentrated. Carry water with you and drink throughout the day, especially after eating, to help rinse your mouth.
- Have a glass of wine. Yes, that’s right, a recent study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that drinking red wine in moderation can decrease the growth of bacteria. Just be sure to rinse your mouth after to prevent staining your teeth.
- Take a bite of an apple. Apples and other fiber-rich fruits and vegetables that require you to do a lot of chewing help to clean out your teeth and the Vitamin C will kill bacteria.
- Sip some tea. Instead of coffee go for a cup of green or black tea because these teas contain polyphenols that reduce bacteria growth.
- Choose the right mouthwash. Mouthwash is great for killing bacteria that cause bad breath but the only problem is that most mouthwashes are high in alcohol content. The alcohol can dry out your mouth which just encourages more bacteria growth. Choose an alcohol-free mouthwash and ingredients like menthol, eucalyptol, or thymol instead. Mouthwash is most effective if you wait for at least 15 minutes after brushing.
- Try a tongue scraper. Just brushing your tongue only gets at the surface, but a tongue scraper is much more effective. Use it every time you brush your teeth for a clean and fresh tongue.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
Taking care of your mouth is important for your own oral health, as well as for the sanity of those around you! It is just as important for your living environment to be clean and fresh smelling too.
Carpets, rugs, and upholstery will collect dirt, dust, hair, and allergens over time, which can leave your home smelling musty and stinky. It is recommended that you have them professionally cleaned at least once a year.
Chem-Dry Auburn/Lincoln’s technicians are trained to deep clean and restore carpets, rugs, and upholstery and we only use eco-friendly solutions and methods!
Other carpet cleaning services use harsh soaps and chemicals to clean carpets. Soaps left on carpets will lead to a sticky residue that attracts dirt and dust and leads to discoloration.
Chem-Dry Auburn/Lincoln does not use any soaps whatsoever. Instead, we use the most innovative equipment combined with our powerful yet green-certified cleaning solution, The Natural. We harness the power of carbonation to lift and remove even deep embedded dirt, dust, and stains.
Other carpet cleaning services must use gallons of water to attempt to rinse out the soaps. Unfortunately, they are rarely successful and you are left with damp carpets for days. Moisture left on carpet will lead to mold and mildew growth.
Chem-Dry Auburn/Lincoln does not use soaps so there is no need to waste so much water, making it the drier, cleaner, healthier choice for you and your family.